Monday, January 23, 2012

The day I got hate mail at work...

Today, like most days this month, I spent the morning going through applications.  However, something new happened that I've never experienced before....I got Hate Mail.

It wasn't directed at me but at my company for an open job position that was posted on craigslist.  The position is a dual position where the employee will be working two different classification depending on the need for the day.  The position is an entry level position and pays $8.25 an hour as one classification and $11.00 an hour as the other classification.

The person was mad at the low wages a classification one gets paid.

Here is a synopsis of what they said:

"At first I was interested, I find the activities of a 1st class company exciting and the your industry very rewarding....and then I saw the hourly pay rate; $8.25 is insulting and frankly a slave's wage.  You expect your employees to jump when customers say jump and bow when management sneezes and you offer $8.25/hr??? And how much is your product sold for? What is the average annual salary of someone in management or the average guest? Does your company want under-paid, money-hungry, lower-class citizens serving their patrons???
Do you realize how much rent is in California?
Do you expect teenagers still living with parents to take these positions?
Honestly, who do you expect to live with these wages?
-Totally unacceptable-"


I was shocked because this is a union position that gets medical benefits and a lot more benefits that have been negotiated through the union.  It is a tipped position where the employee can make a lot more than minimum wage.  It is also an entry level job that does not even require a high school education.

Entry level jobs are typically lower paid jobs and I would think that, since it does not even require a high school education, the pay would be minimum wage.  This position can also make $11.00 an hour if there is need for the second classification for the day.  We also received around 1100 applications around for 5 jobs that I posted.

In some ways I could see where this person is coming from but without the full story of the position and all the benefits known about the position, they shouldn't be quick to judge.

No comments:

Post a Comment